Friends of McNabs Island Event
Join the Friends of McNabs Island Society for our annual Fall Foliage Tours of McNabs Island Provincial Park on Sunday October 16th. The rain date is the following Sunday October 23 rd .
See the island in its autumn splendour and participate in guided heritage, nature, and adventure or
family tours. A new Hangman’s Beach tour based on the characters and setting from Thomas Raddall’s
book Hangman’s Beach which was set on McNabs Island has been added this year.
- A special welcome to Mniku’j McNabs Island by representatives of the Mi’kmaw Native
- Discover how important Mniku’j McNabs Island was for the Mi'kmaw First Nations.
- Learn more about the role McNabs Island played during the world wars from animators in military
costume at Fort McNab National Historic site.
- Hear the story of Bill Lynch, the "midway king" and how he got his start in the fairground
- Learn the tragic story of the SS England that was quarantined off McNabs in 1866.
- Discover the island's coastal environment, plants and wildlife.
- Learn from the Friends of McNabs Island horticulturalists how we are restoring the Victorian
- Visit the abandoned Teahouse that is being transformed into an Outdoor Education Centre.
We offer a variety of tours at the McNabs Island Fall Foliage Tours. There are two Heritage tours -
one to Fort Ives and the North End of McNabs Island and the other to Fort McNab National Historic
Site and the South End of the island; a Nature Tour; an Adventure Tour to Thrumcap suitable for hikers
over 16 years of age, a Family Tour for parents/guardians with children 12 years and under, and the new
Hangman’s Beach Tour.
Wear comfortable shoes or hiking boots and dress for the weather. Bring a lunch and drinking water.
Travel to McNabs Island with Murphy's Ambasstours from Cable Wharf 1751 Lower Water Street on
the Halifax Waterfront departing at 9:30 AM. Depart from McNabs Island at 4:00 with the return to
Halifax by 5:00 PM.
Note: there is no transportation from Eastern Passage this year!
Everyone must get their tickets in advance via Eventbrite!
Ticket costs: $35 (Adults who are not members of Friends of McNabs Island), $20 (children/youth
under 16), and $30 (Friends of McNabs Island members). Children under 4 years are FREE but
need a ticket.
Tickets on sale via Eventbrite: tickets are available now via Eventbrite.
The Rain Date is Sunday October 23, 2021.
For more information on this event, contact; email@example.com or http://mcnabsisland.ca/contact.
For updates, follow us on social media: