The Friends of McNabs Island Society is hiring university/college students or recent graduates this summer. The summer interpreters will work 35 hours per week for at least 12 weeks and start work in June. The pay range is $14.00 -15.00/hr depending on experience. The candidates must be under 30, and either be current students or recent graduates.
The job duties are varied and would be suitable for students or graduates from several disciplines including: environmental science, environmental design, biology, recreation, education, horticulture, business, tourism, public relations, planning, graphic arts, film studies, history, Atlantic Canada studies, archaeology, architecture or carpentry.
Candidates must have excellent written and oral communication skills in English and/or French. They must be able to work as a team on McNabs Island as interpreters. When not on the island, they will work in an office in downtown Dartmouth.
Both interpreters must be physically fit and love being outdoors, even in the rain and cold. They must be able to walk up to 10 km while leading guided tours. They must be willing to work weekends on McNabs Island. When not on the island, the interpreters will do research and update our virtual tours and interpretive materials. Some of the job duties include:
- provide guided tours for McNabs Island visitors including youth groups
- island maintenance work such as cleanups, and trail and garden maintenance.
- help with the restoration of the Island Teahouse
- develop materials that promote McNabs Island as an outdoor learning centre and nature park
- research and write stories about McNabs Island
- update our brochures, displays, social media and develop virtual tours.
Jobs will be posted until June 1st or until the positions are filled. Please send resume, cover letter and references combined into ONE “WORD” format document and include your name in the file name i.e. jackorjilljones.doc and email to firstname.lastname@example.org.