10.6 Strawberry Battery
Strawberry Battery, located just north of Fort McNab, was constructed in 1939-40 to replace Hugonin Battery. Two QF guns from Hugonin were installed at Strawberry in May, 1940, at which time the emplacements, searchlights and associated features were substantially complete. At the end of World War II the works were left unaltered for two years and then totally dismantled between November 1947 and January 1948, the guns being removed to Fort McNab. Later in 1948 the military had second thoughts and the rearmament of Strawberry Battery was ordered in September, 1948. The fort was finally decommissioned in 1956.